The Warpath

How to and how not to get likes on Instagram

BY MADDY MORIARTY

You are not defined by the amount of likes you get on social media.

Ugh.

Are your eyes not rolling?

You’ve probably heard this phrase a thousand times.

Any healthy social media user is aware of this reality, and most importantly knows the simple truth of it all: we just want people to like our picture on Instagram.

Brain science has suggested a link between “Likes” and dopamine, causing  social media to be addictive. This I can agree with. There is just something about that orange and white icon that makes you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. But, what’s so wrong with that?

If you’re missing some of that orange-fuzziness in your life, no need to fret. Warpath is here to give you some tips on how to up your Insta-game.

HOW TO GET MORE LIKES

Step #1: Dare to be different

But not too different. The best way to stand out on Instagram is to take a different angle on something that is usually pretty generic. For example, if you go to the park with your friends, the typical thing to do is take a group picture hugging and holding hands. Instead, you could take a cool shot of the your shadow, the sunset, or even focus in on a specific part of the architecture/nature in the area.

This is “daring” because it is pretty intimidating to post a picture that you aren’t featured in.  However, this is definitely starting to become a trend again (since it stopped being cool in junior high).

Step #2: Clever Captions

The caption can honestly make or break the picture. Instagram isn’t as shallow as you might think—people do care about what you have to say. The trickiest part is making sure it is clear, concise, and funny. If you don’t believe me, here is an example.

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 10.41.52 AM

(PHOTO BY MORIARTY)

Possible Caption 1: I dropped my glass on the floor and it spilled

Possible Caption 2: spilled my water 1 like= 1 prayer

Depending on your sense of humor, you would probably want to go with the second option. Any funny caption can turn a picture from drab to fab!

Step #3: Take pictures with people from various friend groups

We all like to see pictures of people we know on the internet, especially our closest friends. An easy way to get through to a larger audience of possible likers is to get a cute picture at an event (i.e. dances or sporting events) with people that hang out with different groups.

This doesn’t mean to post pictures with people you barely know just to get likes. But, getting a picture with people you like to talk to who aren’t one of the same 4 people you post pictures with is a pretty simple and social solution.

Step #4: Post around 10:30 P.M. to 11 P.M. on weekends

In an informal survey, I concluded that this is the best time to post on Instagram because no one is bogged down with homework, and usually should be getting home from weekend events around that time. Once people get home, it is pretty normal to check social media to recap that night’s events.

Even if people don’t catch it that night, they are sure to see your photo when they wake up the next morning.

HOW TO NOT GET MORE LIKES

Just in case you were wondering…

Step #1: Birthday Posts

Okay, I’m sorry that I said it. But someone had to. Birthday Instagrams can be a trap. What if you have nothing post-able? Not wishing someone a happy birthday via Instagram can be taken pretty harshly…so you basically have no choice but to post something you never wanted to in the first place.

Also, when people have already seen that it’s Gabriella’s birthday 15 times already, I think we can all agree that they aren’t going to be interested in liking yours nor any of the others.

Step #2: Bad Quality/ Photo of a photo

It’s snobbish, but it’s the gosh darn truth. People like pictures clear enough so they can see what is going on. Seeing a picture of a picture of a picture with a heavy filter on it is confusing and pretty uncomfortable to look at.

Step #3: Posting late on a school night

In most cases, timing really is everything. The worst time you can possibly post on Instagram is after 9:30 P.M. on a school night. Why? Most people are furiosly working on homework or (if they’re lucky) going to bed. No one is going to see your photo that night. Then, in the morning, everyone will be at school where our beloved Instagram is blocked. If no one is looking at your photo, no one is liking it.

Step #4: A Picture without a caption

Why?????????????????????????

A picture without a caption is the equivalent of breathing heavily into a microphone in front of a room full of everyone you know. What do you even do with that?

In the end, the most important part of being apart of the Instagram community is knowing that this is all in good fun and it really doesn’t matter how many likes you get. If you like what you post, the rest should follow.

Follow Warpath on Instagram for awesome pics @mhswarpath!