The Warpath

Warpath’s Playlist

BY JACOB MANTLE

It is the middle of the school year and you are probably struggling to create a playlist that you love. I decided to investigate what our Warpath staff’s music tastes are. The staff was asked multiple questions about their favorite genres, artists, and music. We have collaborated on all of our favorite songs and created a playlist for readers to get to know us a little bit better.

14 of 17 staff members said Spotify was their preferred music service. Other’s cited Apple Music, Google Play Music, and SoundCloud as their preferred service.

Over half of the Warpath writers did not prefer a specific genre of music, rather listened to genres that fit their mood. Multiple writers said alternative, pop, and or hip-hop/rap were their go to. Rock-and-roll was one of the writers’ favorites.

A majority of the staff enjoyed music without lyrics: jazz, movie scores, oldies, or classical genres. However, some members of the Warpath preferred what they normally listened to, throwbacks (80s), rap, or alternative. And some writers chose not to listen to music at all.

Almost all writers said rap music was what they listened to with friends. However, a handful of students found that throwback songs from the 80s and 00s were fun to listen to. With all the music variety and choice, some staff members do not get handed the aux cord when they are with their friends.

McNeil’s work ethic is illustrated while listening to alternative music (PHOTO BY MANTLE)

Favorite Artists? 

Jude Hart– The Ramones

Will Kemper– Chance the Rapper, Kodak Black

Maddy Kromer-Rihanna, 21 Savage, Drake

Ashley Grimmer– Bruce Hornsby, Phil Collins (Tarzan Soundtrack)

Logan Campbell– Travis Scott

Jake Motto– A$AP Rocky

Gracie Lyons– Kanye West, Frank Sinatra

Claire Wilder– Dermot Kennedy

Kennedy McNeil– The Beatles

Abby Dodson– Bryce Vine

Stephanie RennerTom Petty

Owen Dingle– Kanye West, Frank Ocean

Johnny Carroll– Cage The Elephant

Isabella Paz– Marc E. Bassey, JP Cooper, Migos

Charlotte Coates-John Mayer

Peter Payiatis– Killy, Lil Tracy

Jacob Mantle– Sam Smith, OneRepublic

One of your favorite song of all time?

Jude Hart– “Chain Saw”by Ramones — “I like the song because of how the the group pronounces massacre.”

Will Kemper– “Mr. Blue Sky” by Electric Light Orchestra — “If you’re ever feeling down, listen to it, and the song brings the happy times.”

Maddy Kromer– “Lemon” by Rihanna — “It always puts me in a good mood, and you can jam out in the car with friends to it.”

Ashley Grimmer– “We Bought A Zoo” by  Jonsi — “Jonsi is a great artist. The way his music builds emotion is cool; it makes me happy.”

Logan Campbell– “Down” by Jay Sean — “The song reminds me of the elementary days and it’s a real classic.”

Jake Motto– “Purple Rain” by Prince — “He pours his heart and soul into it. Prince does a great job of creating this music for his era.”

Gracie Lyons– “Float On” by Modest Mouse — “I never get tired of hearing it.”

Claire Wilder– “All My Friends” by Dermot Kennedy — “Their songs have a lot of emotion–I never get tired of them.”

Kennedy McNeil– “Let It Be” by The Beatles — “I grew up listening to them and they have a lot of music–songs for every mood.”

Abby Dodson– “Gettin Jiggy With It” by Will Smith — “It reminds me of the summertime, and to me, it’s a classic and I have good vibes with it.”

Stephanie Renner– “Year 3000” by The Jonas Brothers — “It brings back early 2000 nostalgia and I always listen to it before soccer games.”

Owen Dingle “Find Your Love” by Drake — “The song sparks back a title wave of emotions and memories. It’s like when you smell a candle from your childhood.”

Johnny Carroll– “Cigarette Daydreams” by Cage The Elephant — “The song’s lyrics speak to me and have good meaning. I can play it on my guitar too.”

Isabella Paz– “Don’t Stop” by Fleetwood Mac — “It puts me in a good mood. My mom loves Fleetwood Mac, so that’s why I like him.”

Charlotte Coates– “Emoji of a Wave” by John Mayer — “It’s a relaxing song and it puts me in a good mood. It makes me think of the first time I heard it–downtown with my sister.”

Peter Payiatis– “Never Bend” by 03 Greedo — “The song is fire and it has a good beat.”

Jacob Mantle– “Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars — “It always puts me into a good mood and I can break out a move or two.”