Not-So-Great Expectations: Valentine’s Day at Mariemont

BY COOPER HAYES

Mariemont students prepare their ammunition for the incoming holiday

Mariemont students prepare their ammunition for the incoming holiday.

Senior Connor Bortz lays his head on his desk as he is nagged about the coming holiday by his girlfriend. Bortz and many other high school boys like him dread this day more than any other. February 14. Valentine’s Day.

It is no secret that many boys dread this day — it seems like just another occasion to fall short of a girl’s expectations which, in the eyes of a boy, seem astronomical.

It’s not fair to generalize genders, so these are the views of the student body, taken from a sample of Mariemont students.

GIRLS

“Valentine’s Day is an excuse to make single people feel super lovely, except you’re really just as single on Valentine’s Day as you are any other. Some people call it ‘love day’ I just call it ‘Saturday’” – Lauren Kaminer, freshman

“I think Valentine’s Day can be cheesy, but it can be cute with the right couple. I’m really just expecting my parents to get me stuff.” – Mollie Sullivan, freshman

“Valentine’s Day was much more fun in elementary school because back then I had a boyfriend.” – Carson Fields, sophomore

“It really depends on if we are in the relationship. I expect some good eats obviously, maybe some flowers, but forget stuffed animals. Do they have hidden cameras in them? Am I six years old? Is this your inexpensive opting out of a present? I don’t like them.” – Katie Tassos, junior

“I think high school girls’ expectations for Valentine’s Day aren’t anything huge. Small things like flowers or a dinner are good.” – Sadie Decamp, junior

“I have lower expectations I guess, like just hanging out and doing something simple like watching a good movie is perfect. Spending time with the person is all that matters.” – Andi Christopher, senior

“I’m just looking to be tired after working hard in the sectional swim meet.” – Brooke Kelly, senior

GUYS

“I think it’s pointless and shouldn’t be a thing. Girls always think people should do something for them.” – Colin Kelly, freshman

“I think for Valentine’s Day all freshman should get candy and not be hated on, but on Valentine’s Day girls are selfish and want all the Valentines for themselves so boys never get anything.” – Alec Vianello, freshman

“Girls expect a lot from guys come Valentine’s Day. They see a bunch of movies with guys going above and beyond getting a gift for a girl and this is set as the standard. That’s just not fair to guys.” – Eric Tassos, sophomore

“It’s a pretty sexy holiday, lots of loving going around.” – Bobby Dennerll, sophomore

“Girls mainly want me to respond to their texts with more then one-word answers, and they will be lucky if they get that.” – Chris Benson, senior

“As a single guy my Valentine’s plans are fairly simple and do not require the spending of large sums or money or fancy attire. All I need is a pair of sweats, a purple t-shirt to hide the inevitable spillage of black raspberry chip ice cream, a couch and a TV. Keep the lighting low. But not too low because staring at the TV for a while in low light is taxing on the eyes. If I’m feeling especially wild, I may throw on a pair of colorful socks and prop my feet up so I can gaze at them while watching and eating. Other than that, I try to keep things simple and low key. When I throw away an empty pint of ice cream I know I’ve had a good Valentines Day. If I had a girlfriend it would be different. Things are too much about money these days. If I had a girlfriend on Valentine’s Day, I would take advantage of all the great – free of charge – entertainment that our nation has to offer. Perhaps we would begin the evening at the post office, the beating HEART of US commerce (notice the Valentine’s references). We would watch the line and the sorting process for a while. Then maybe we would take a quick hop over to the public library. If she doesn’t already have a library card I could show my affection by taking the time to sign her up for one while there. After perusing the shelves for romantic novels, we could ride the Cincinnati bus system for a while, coming full circle back to Mariemont where I would present her with the library card before shaking hands and saying goodnight. Honestly, the key to being single on Valentines Day is acting. You got to act like you know something that no one else does, like you have superior knowledge or the keys to the universe and everyone else is missing out on you greatness.” – Alex Vago, senior