The Warpath

Elementary Tunes and Fads Deserving of Another Play

BY CHARLES SCHOOLER

Fad: noun: an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived. There are fads for just about everything, especially music. Think of a song you rated 5 stars on iTunes in 5th grade but deleted it off your “fav tunes” playlist the next year. That’s your music fad. Warning; this article may make you feel a sense of nostalgia so have a box of Kleenex nearby.

iyaz

Iyaz posted on the cover of his 2010 single.

The first song is Replay by Iyaz. If you don’t remember the infectious rhythm this song contains, you are missing out. It was very popular with the
love birds of 6th grade because of the meaningful lyrics. Iyaz says, “
I’m in the kitchen cookin’ things she likes,” and “Someday I wanna make you my wife.” You can see why this connected so much with 11 year olds.

tiao cruz

Taio with one of the most epic album covers I have ever seen. (PHOTO BY ACESHOWBIZ)

In 2009 Taio Cruz released Dynamite. You may remember hearing this one at Cotillion when you were showing your friends how to cut a rug on the dance floor. This tune was popular back when the definition of  dancing was jumping up and down, back when your mother had to tie your necktie. Taio also released other hits in 2009 like “Break Your Heart” which went platinum. Dynamite is an explosive song with catchy lyrics and that is why young folks loved it so much.

t-pain

It is reported that T-Pain spent $30,000 on his yellow diamond grills. (PHOTO BY RAP BASEMENT)

Another song that hits me right in the heart is 5 o’clock by T-Pain. This composition told a story about a young man who is tempted to be with other ladies but he knows that he has the perfect girl waiting for him at home. How much more poetic can you get? This isn’t the “King of Auto-tunes” only hit song. If you can remember back to 2011, you may remember “Best Love Song” feat. Chris Brown. Both 5 o’clock and Best Love Song are some of T-Pains best work.

BabyBash002

Is that not the cleanest mustache-goatee combo you have ever seen? (PHOTO BY STARPULSE)

T-Pain fans can’t forget this next hit. Cyclone by Baby Bash feat. T-Pain. Yet another “love story” to come out of the 2000’s. Whenever you hear the trademark Baby Bash “OH” and the almost awkward synthesizer you can’t help but dance. 2007 was the release year and made Baby Bash close to 6 million dollars that year. It climbed the HIP-HOP ladder and reached #7 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. Impressive Baby Bash, impressive.

ymca

“YMCA” (PHOTO BY ABC DJ)

There’s no need to feel down. Pick yourself off the ground. Not the words of a motivational speaker but
those of the Village People in their song YMCA. This was a popular one for school dances. Watch out for the chorus; you may get hit on the face or be slapped with the overwhelming stench of middle school body odor. You remember? The fun dance everyone would do with the song. You don’t remember? Hopefully the photo will ring some bells for you.

I know, at least for me, these songs bring back some good memories to back in the day when we were all just kids in a kids world. When we wore American Eagle cargo pants and too much Axe Chocolate body spray. Back when you were yourself because you wanted to be yourself even though you may have been a bit awkward. Back when every picture you took ended up looking like this.

Pictured is Wilson Bucher and Parker Gilmore at the 7th grade "Back to School Dance" (PHOTO BY MARIEMONT)

Pictured is Wilson Bucher and Parker Gilmore at the 7th grade “Back to School Dance” (PHOTO BY MARIEMONT)