Worrying Warriors : Mariemont Students’ Greatest Fears

BY KAYLA DEWEY

School and stress are synonymous for a lot of Mariemont students. Tests, teachers, and even the lunchroom are enough to incite terror. For junior Alex Wilson, fear begins as soon as he leaves for school.

“Every morning, I’m afraid my cat is going to chase my car and get lost,” he says.

While separation from pets may cause anxiety for some, others fear public humiliation. Ellie Lewis shares that one of her greatest fears is tripping in the hallway, especially in front of senior boys.

Alivia Naticchioni believes there is nothing more terrifying than having her stomach growl in the middle of a silent study hall.

Wilson is extremely frightened by the upcoming Great Gatsby exam.

However, the top three fear factors for Erin Ramey are failure, Mr. Block, and scary teachers. “Mr. Hanley is especially scary at the beginning of the year and when he throws his papers because the class didn’t do the Euro reading,” she says.

Most agree that tests and schoolwork are the main instigators of fear. “I’m always terrified that my teachers will assign 50 bajillion tests on the same day,” says Jaxie Brokamp. “Like tomorrow…” She adds fearfully, remembering her physics, calculus, and English tests.

Seniors like Lauren Croll are starting to fear the future. “I’m terrified of college,” she says. “I’m going to be leaving everything behind and starting all over in a place I don’t know.”

The stress and fear produced by school has required students to find ways to cope. “I usually just cry,” Hannah Coates says. “Crying’s about all I can do most of the time.”

Others resort to methods that help clear their mind. For Emery Shelley, Netflix is often the key to forgetting her worries. “It’s a great stress reliever,” she shares.

As for Wilson’s fear of losing his pet, he always makes sure that his cat is safely locked inside before pulling away each morning. “I have to sit in my car for a solid few minutes staring at my front door making sure there are no cat movements,” he says.

While students are always looking for ways around their fears, Ramey agrees that there is always some degree of anxiety. Whether students are afraid of not knowing all the dance moves at homecoming, or of college and schoolwork, fear is something that affects everyone at Mariemont.

“We just have to learn how to use it to our advantage,” says Ramey.