The Warpath

The Baseball Warrior’s Trip to Myrtle Beach

BY WILL KEMPER

From Fairfax Field to Myrtle Beach’s Ripken Baseball Complex, the Mariemont baseball squad prepares themselves for an exotic baseball experience this spring break.

The MHS Myrtle Beach Baseball trip originated in 2010 when Coach Joe Regruth had discovered the tournament from other schools that went in previous years. He thought it sounded fun, so he tried it out with the team, and a tradition was born.

On Sunday, March 26, the team will embark on their annual trip to one of America’s favorite vacation city’s, Myrtle Beach.

What used to be an every-other-year tradition has become an annual trip due to the enjoyment from players and parents.

Senior Riley Gullino, catcher and outfielder, is one of the many excited players who will be traveling down to Myrtle Beach. Gullino said, “My favorite part of the trip is hanging with the boys in our condos and relaxing.”

“Although relaxing and swimming in the lazy river is fun, I enjoy playing baseball in the warm Myrtle Beach weather,” Gullino added.

The Ripken Experience baseball complex was built in 2005 and is used for tournaments for young and old (PHOTO BY RIPKENBASEBALL.COM).

Gullino’s favorite memory from last year’s spring break was pitching under the lights during the opening night.

The Mariemont team plays in tournament at The Ripken Experience baseball complex against teams from different areas of the country. This complex consists of nine different fields, all modeled after famous stadiums in Major League Baseball history.

The team plays a minimum of four games over a period of three days.

The two teams with the best records play each other in the championship game. 

The condos have a nice view over the pool and river (PHOTO BY ROOMS101.COM).

The Mariemont squad spends three nights at the Myrtlewood Villas. Each player shares a condo with four other teammates. Each condo has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, and living room.

Junior Quinn Driggett who enjoyed the trip last year is ecstatic to be coming back for round two. “I loved spending time at the Myrtlewood Villas and meeting pretty softball girls around the resort. I can not wait for this years’ trip,” said Driggett. 

The players spend most of their free time swimming, relaxing in the condos, or meeting new friends around the resort.

Assistant coach, Michael Hanley, is excited to be back for another trip to Myrtle Beach. “Each year, my favorite part of the trip is watching the team bond and play baseball under the lights,” said Hanley.

Coach Hanley’s favorite memory from the four trips to Myrtle Beach is when Daniel Simons did an air drum solo during a team dinner in the middle of a crowded Hard Rock Cafe.

Coach Hanley, as well as the rest of the team, hopes for more funny memories like that on this year’s trip to Myrtle Beach over spring break.