The Warpath

A Day at MVCA: One Warrior’s Perspective

BY STEPHANIE RENNER

How different can two schools be that are only 2 miles apart?

MVCA, or Miami Valley Christian Academy is in Newtown; a 6 minute drive from our high school. It has roughly 350 students from Kindergarten-12th grade. A month ago, I went there for “Ambassador Day” to shadow one of my friends.

The first thing that struck me as odd when I got to the school was the parking. Very few students

Repping my Mariemont “Loud Proud Warriors” shirt, I smiled with my friends Ally and Bryn before leaving for school.

drove to school, and they got to park in the church lot next door for free. Getting out was fairly easy, too. We were out in five minutes with no traffic, which amazed me. I guess that is a perk of having a small school.

Before school officially started, my friend took me on a tour of the school. As I walked through the hallways of the high school, (all of the schools are connected for k-12). It was a typical before school scene: students walking and talking, teachers here and there, and lots of lockers slamming. On my way to my friend’s first bell class, I ran into a teacher who greeted us with an enthusiastic “welcome” and hug.

After the chaotic morning, I went to AP English Literature. I sat in an empty desk near my friend and took in my surroundings. There were a lot of windows (unlike many classrooms at Mariemont), the desks were connected to the chairs, and there were various inspirational posters around the room. The senior students in this class seemed to know each other very well.

This is a sample locker from the main hallway. Since there are so few kids, there is a lot more locker space. Unlike the common practice at Mariemont, MVCA students use and decorate their lockers.

Before class began the teacher asked every kid (the class had about 15 in it) about their weekend plans and various activities that were going on. As she was doing that, the morning announcements came on.

All of the students stood for a prayer and they did the Pledge of Allegiance-read about why we do not do the Pledge in Cameron’s article. After the Pledge of Allegiance, they did the Pledge to the Bible. This surprised me a lot because I have never heard of it, but the students knew every word.

About halfway through a day of me introducing myself about 4 times, representing Mariemont, and standing out in my non-uniform clothing, we had a snack break. The whole high school fit in a cafeteria about half of the size of ours. They gave all of the visiting students donuts and hot chocolate. I sat down at a table with my friend and her friends for the break.

For not having very many students, it was a very loud setting. There were boys (probably freshmen) running around and yelling, groups of girls chatting, some working on homework, and a few teachers supervising. The short break reminded me of “warrior bell”, except everyone was together, there was food, and there was no set thing that needed to be accomplished during the time, like a survey.

Soon after the break, my friend had study hall. The setup of the study hall was shocking to me. I have had a study hall in every semester of my high school career. Those bells might have helped me do well on tests, but they did not prepare me for this moment: there were about 15 students and they were in a small classroom.

Besides that small difference, it was pretty much the same as any study hall at Mariemont: some kids doing work, others talking, and everyone had a computer out.

Visiting MVCA was a very positive experience for me. I got to not stress about tests for a day, be in a place with unfamiliar faces, and see what life is like in a small school.