Mariemont’s Mindful Minute: The Scoop

BY JUDE HART

“So, do any of you like it? I want an interview with someone that likes it!” I shout over the din of the Study Space. I look around the room, searching for someone who enjoys the new four-minute meditation session at the beginning of the school day. But I’m unable to find anyone.

Even Bailey Murphy, who was conscripted by the guidance counselor to be the “voice” of meditation, doesn’t find meditation to be very effective.

“No one pays attention to it. People mostly just talk over it while the music is going,” says Murphy.

Davis Chu and Hunter Gailliec posing as if they are meditating in the morning. (PHOTO BY HART)

Others have had similar reactions.

“It’s pointless. I did research on this, and meditation is actually beneficial. But it only helps if you do it for twenty-five minutes, not for four minutes on a stool in Physics,” says senior Andrew Krafft.

Senior Analise Hinebaugh had a more extreme reaction to the new MHS meditation activity, saying that she tries to avoid classrooms while the music is playing through the intercom.

“I would aim not to be in a class while it’s happening. It’s weird and it makes me uncomfortable,” says Hinebaugh.

The feedback isn’t all negative. Some students do utilize the four minutes of ambient music before their first bell.

The speaker from which students hear ambient, relaxing music at the beginning of every school day. (PHOTO BY HART)

“I’m glad we’re doing it. It helps with my anxiety. I like to just relax and put my head on the desk,” says sophomore Lilly Murray. “I love it.”

Abbie Kapcar was enlisted by Ms. Tackett to play the meditation music through the loud speaker every day.

Kapcar says, “In Mariemont, there’s a lot of stress and pressure to succeed. It’s important to keep mental health in mind.”

Students proposed various ways to fix aspects of morning meditation that they found to be unappealing.

“I’d make it optional or have it in the middle of the day where people don’t want to talk and do their homework.” says Krafft.

“If we can make it more interesting or more appealing to people, it would be a lot better,” says Abbie Kapcar. “Maybe they should change the music so it’s not the same thing every day.”

“It would be more effective if it lasted 7-10 minutes,” says Lilly Murray.

Librarian Emily Colpi had a few suggestions about making meditation more successful and popular with the student body.

“I think we need more feedback from students to tailor it more to them. I agree that it should probably be later in the day. I think that will make more people actually participate,” says Colpi.