The Warpath

A New Groovy Place in Mariemont

BY JACOB MANTLE

What is so groovy about the Groovy Gumball? Located right next to Rooted at 6846 Wooster Pike, the local candy shop opened in late August, just in time for school. The business is owned and operated by the Karlson family and has been the buzz of the community.

Students, faculty, and community members have been raving about the local shop for numerous reasons. Orchestra director Ms. Khamis says, “I literally feel like I am 10 years old,” as she walks into the shop.

Kids indulging themselves in the candy.
(PHOTO BY MANTLE)

“When you walk in, you get this magical feeling,” says freshman Nathan Cox.

Shop co-owner Mr. Karlson, says it was their goal to create an atmosphere where people can come in and transform into their childhood.

One of the reasons why the Groovy Gumball is so good at bringing back childhood memories is because of their bulk candy concept. According to co-owner Mrs. Karlson, the concept allows customers to grab a variety of goodies for the same price as buying a box of candy. She adds that Groovy Gumball is the go-to place for fresh and tasty candy.

The inspiration behind the candy is simple. Mrs. Karlson says, “We went back to my childhood. Then we went back a couple generations to our parents’ generation and then our grandparents’ generation.”

The shop not only has throwback candies, but also fun sweets. Junior Avery Lindner says, “They have tennis ball gumballs! They are unique and taste good.”

Mrs. Karlson says the shop carries Dippin’ Dots; the ice cream is rarely found in the Cincinnati tri-state.

“I just went their today and got some cotton candy. They have so many flavors and they taste really, really good,” says Cox.

The Groovy Gumball is also known for its fudge. People come from all around the city to devour the fudge. Mrs. Karlson says, “There is no place to get tasty, quality  fudge anywhere close–Hyde Park, Kenwood, Montgomery.”

Junior Nolan Buck, agrees with this claim, saying his family has purchased the fudge before. “The fudge is unique and is very tasty,” he says.

Some of the “best” fudge in the Cincinnati area can be found at the Groovy Gumball. (PHOTO BY MANTLE)

The Groovy Gumball’s theme inside contributes to its success. According to Mr. Karlson, the shop is, “One hundred percent original– from the 80’s music, to the colors, and to the variety of candies sold.”

Mrs. Karlson states, “Customers have told us the shop has a coastal feeling. It reminds them of Mackinac Island, Michigan, Florida, and 30A.”

“We have the best of the best,” is their motto. According to Mrs. Karlson, Groovy Gumball imports their chocolate from Europe. She says, “Europe is more strict on their food policies, and it’s better quality.”

According to senior Colton Urbanski and Ms. Khamis, the dark chocolate at the Groovy Gumball is “amazing” and “rich in flavor.”

Unique, fun candy found at the shop. (PHOTO BY MANTLE)

Lily Karlson, the daughter of the shop owners, says her summer had changed. When talking about the shop’s success, she says, “We did not go on any vacations. There were a lot of nights staying late building, and my parents weren’t at home as much. In the end however, it was worth it.”

According to shop owners, Groovy Gumball has surpassed their goals multiple times in the first months of business. They add, “We want to create memories for people.”

“There is no place like this in Mariemont. Where can you go to get bourbon flavored fudge? Only the Groovy Gumball. It’s a classy place,” says junior, Francie Lindell.

1 Comment

One Response to “A New Groovy Place in Mariemont”

1. Wilma Mantle on October 28th, 2017 10:16 am

Your article makes me want to jump into the car and drive to Cincinnati and buy some of that delicious candy. We are proud of you, Jacob.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• A New Groovy Place in Mariemont

Entertainment

Christmas Shopping Frenzy 2018

• A New Groovy Place in Mariemont

Around the School

No Shave November

• A New Groovy Place in Mariemont

Archive

The Benefits of Playing Sports at a Young Age

• A New Groovy Place in Mariemont

Archive

Thanksgiving at Mariemont

• A New Groovy Place in Mariemont

Archive

FALL FESTIVITIES AND TRADITIONS

• A New Groovy Place in Mariemont

Entertainment

End of an Era, Ode to a Career

• A New Groovy Place in Mariemont

Around the School

Spring Broken

• A New Groovy Place in Mariemont

Entertainment

Music Festivals: The Run Down

• A New Groovy Place in Mariemont

Around the School

Warpath Bachelorette: Episode 1

• A New Groovy Place in Mariemont

Around the School

What Teachers’ Closets Say About Them

The Student News Site of Mariemont High School
A New Groovy Place in Mariemont