Hydro Flask Vs. Swell: The Great Water Bottle Dilemma

BY ISABELLA PAZ

As students walk down the hallways, you can see these hip water bottles dangling from students’ backpacks. Which leads to the real question: What is the new trendy water bottle of the year? It boils down to two options: Hydro Flask or Swell. 

Jacquelyn Kauffman, Abbie Kapcar and Kendall Dewey with their favorite water bottles. S’well on the left, Hydro Flask on the right. (PHOTO BY PAZ)

One of the options, S’well, offers an insulated steel interior, with many different options for colors and patterns. The bottle comes in six different sizes and shapes ranging from 9 oz to 24 oz. The price varies with the size and the patterns, but the average water bottle costs $30.

Sarah Kauss, founder and CEO of S’well, explains why the water bottles were created.  “If we made a crave-worthy bottle that combined fashion with function, people would stop buying disposable bottles, and we could reduce single-use plastic consumption worldwide,” Kauss says on her website.

The water bottle Hydro Flask, also has a steel interior and many different colors to choose from. Hydro Flask also recently added a chance to customize your very own bottle.  You can choose from  7 different sizes, 14 different colors and two different lid types. The average price is $29.95, but the price varies. 

As facts are known, students’ opinions are what really run this poll. Sophomore Megan Betts explains, “I have a S’well because of the sleek design and how easy it is to carry.”

Junior Kate McIntosh says, “A S’well fits in my backpack better.”

“It has a better design than a Hydro Flask” says senior Jaxie Brokamp.  

Zach McClorey and Bates Gall agree that, “It is fun to drop a S’well because of the loud noises. “

While Mrs. Long says, “That is exactly the reason why I dislike it, because it is too much of a distraction.”

On the flip side, Hydro Flask fans complain how in a S’well bottle the ice doesn’t fit in the lid. 

Hydro Flask enthusiast Courtney Robinson, says, “The ice lasts way longer in a hydro flask. I take it to school and then to practice, and the ice is still there at the end of the day.”

Daniel Cascella, a football and lacrosse player, claims, “I like the size a lot better, you can fit more water in it.”  

Out of the 2o students interviewed, 13 people agreed Hydro Flask was their favorite water bottle, ultimately winning the battle of the bottles. 

But some chose a completely different path: no water bottles at all. Sophomores JP Normile and Reece Grant both say, “I wouldn’t use it because there are water fountains in the school that are free.”

Or you could be like Mr. Nerl, Athletic Director at Mariemont High School: “I don’t know what any of those are, so I guess my favorite thing to drink out of is a hose.”